Monday, October 13, 2008

Jackpot!

I have been in search of cheap lamp shades to rip apart in order to use the frame for a homemade spinning rack I am making to display my scrapbook embellishments. 
I scored BIG TIME today at BarnAttic. BarnAttic is a thrift/antique/chachkey shop in Harleysville. It is in an old barn. There is four stories of pure CRAP. There is so much stuff, crap, etc that one can not possibly fathom. It would be an INFERNO if the place went up in fire (God forbid!).
The basement is old clothes (ICKY! I do not go down there- ever- I might faint!), the first floor is furniture, the second floor is miniatures, jewelry and other little stuff, and the top floor is larger crap (including a load of lamp shades, sleds, golf clubs, mismatched chairs, etc.) But it is all organized and priced- which makes it much easier to look at the stuff and decide what to get.
This dear sweet older woman runs the place- and she is a big help. God Bless her heirs when she passes!

So anyway- I got three perfect lamp shades for 10 bucks! And I got the hardware at Home Depot for about 15 bucks. SO- $25 for my homemade rack is WAY cheaper than the manufactured one that goes for like $60 just for the bottom tier (upper tier for $35). My rack will have three tiers!!
I will post pictures when it is finished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love the Barn Attic. We got my wedding ring there (it said "I Love You Kevin" in it; we had it burnished right out:)) My favorite floor is the second floor where they have an innumerable amount of tiny little figurines. It is pretty well organized so all of the identical ones are together. It kind of looks like if a million minnie mouses in the grand stands at a baseball game. It reminds me of how so many of us wind up with the same stuff. The BA is also home to the only barn cats in the world that will actually let you pet them. I'm excited to see your project, dude! I have no idea what you're making but I'm sure once I see it the lights will come on (get it!?!?!)